Friday, October 19, 2012

Sword of Altair: Complete

I feel as if I should have some big awesome reveal for this thing now that it's finished... but I don't. The pictures I have aren't even that good. That being said, I'm still super excited about it!

My last update finished with me painting it silver. Since then I painted in the detail on the handle and I added the leather grip.

For the detail I just watered down some black latex craft paint, painted it on, let it dry just a little bit... and then wiped it off. I had to do several coats but I think it turned out really well.

Because the shape of my grip is not uniform it was a little hard to cut the leather to match the pommel. I started by wrapping paper around it and making a template but I still ended up tweaking it quite a bit after I cut it out. I ended up gluing half of the grip on just so it would hold tight while I made my adjustments.

After I had it how I wanted it I glued the rest and put a bunch of rubber bands on to hold it tight.

Now it's done!

I want to get some really good pictures of it so when I do I'll probably add those in here. Also, the handle does look a little plain to me so I might be tweaking it or adding something to it. I'm not sure, but whatever happens later happens later. Right now I'm counting this done.

If you want to see this thing from start to finish you can check out these links:
-Sword of Altair (WIP Part 1)
-Slow and Steady (WIP Part 2)
-Eureka! (WIP Part 3)
-It Looks Like a Sword! (WIP Part 4)
-So Close... (WIP Part 5)
-Progress Report (WIP Part 6)
-Primed (WIP Part 7)
-Latest Sword Update (WIP Part 8)

No comments:

Post a Comment