Friday, September 21, 2012

Progress Report (WIP Part 6)




And it's a sword!

Seriously. Check it out.




Everything is shaped correctly (or at least correctly enough for me). It's sanded. The crossguard, blade, and handle are all screwed together and glued in place. Everything fits together properly.









The remaining to-do list consists of painting it and wrapping the handle in leather. The Leather shouldn't be too hard. I see that going fairly well considering that I've worked with leather before and the handle is pretty simple and straightforward. The painting is the part that makes me nervous. I've never done anything like this before. I want to paint it so that it looks like metal and I'm not sure if that just means picking up some metallic silver paint or if there's more to it. I've heard some people seal it in some way so that the wood grain doesn't show through when they paint it but I'm not sure if that's some special process or just primer. I also want to highlight the detail work in the crossguard and pommel in black, but I don't want it to look like I just painted it black.

Anybody done anything like this before? Any advice on techniques? Paint types? Sealers?

No comments:

Post a Comment