Monday, November 5, 2012

Politics Schmolitics

I don't generally like talking politics with people. Around this time I don't even really like hearing about politics. That being said I'm going to talk about it for just a minute here.

It's not necessarily what you might think. I'm not going to tell you who to vote for. There's a reason for that. I'm not even going to tell you to vote. There's a reason for that. I just have a couple thoughtful ideas that I want to share with you.

If you aren't registered to vote, or you don't plan on voting I have this to say to you:
Don't listen to the people trying to guilt you into voting. People say things about all the men who died to give you the right to vote, but they died so you would be free to vote not so you would be guilted into voting for a candidate you don't want or don't believe in.So if you don't want to vote, don't. I know that's not a popular opinion, but I'm okay with that.

If you are a die hard *insert political party here* I have this to say to you:
It's not that big of a deal. Seriously, I'm a pretty young guy (still in my twenties) and I have already been alive for five different presidents. They all did different things. They all spent money in different ways. Some of them got us into wars, some of them didn't. I'm not saying that it's not important. I'm saying that if your candidate doesn't win the election this country isn't going to immediately explode. In another four years you'll get another chance to have things go your way.

Which brings me to my last thought:
If YOUR favorite candidate doesn't win, then guess what? Someone else's did. Some people tend to have this idea that there is some insidious political party that gets into office by fooling everyone and then making a bunch of laws no one wants. Did you know there are people out there who don't agree with you? Sometimes there are more people who think differently from you then people who think the same as you, and when that happens the government tends to represent those people more because there are more of them. That's kind of how it's supposed to work.

My point is not to validate some sort of political apathy. My point is that the results of a day at the polls is no reason to freak out, hate or judge people, lose hope, rub a win in someone else's face, be filled with regret at the outcome, etc.

Be better than that.



No comments:

Post a Comment