Friday, February 1, 2013

Leather Top Hat: Stage 4

Now to the wet forming!

I tried the hat on again to check how it felt. The brim is kind of huge, but I know I'll be trimming that down anyway. Aside from that it's pretty good. I decided to try and form the brim first and then glue the two sides together. I'm not sure if that's the best way to do it but it's the decision I made so, ONWARD! Once it's formed and glued I will trim it down. It might be hard to cut in that form, but it's already going to be hard enough to keep it shaped correctly anyway.




I set it in some water again, this time only submerged just past the brim, and set to building something to hold it in place so it would take the right form.




I had to make a box to get the right size. I folded the sides one way and the front and back the other way. Then I used my travel mug and some paper towels to keep the crown from buckling where I was forming the brim. That's the most use that mug has gotten in months.




Trying it on again. It's still drying in the picture as you can see by the different shades of leather. I waited for it to dry and then glued the brim layers together. I didn't take another picture because frankly it doesn't look much different.

*thinks about it. snaps a picture*

Okay, fine. Here's a picture of the hat with the brim glued.




I had hoped to have the whole thing done this week, but that clearly didn't happen so I'm moving my expected completion date to the end of next week.

Until then, maybe I'll come up with some other things to talk about... Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment